Land Navigation Course
In the LNAV-1 Land Navigation Course the participants gets tested on their ability to use the map, compass, GPS, and other map tools. The participants will retrieve the following equipment: Map, Compass, GPS, ACE Map tools. Instructors will then proceed down the course checklist, making sure participants are familiar with all aspects of utilizing navigational tools. Instructors will save Triangulation for last, and will ENSURE that a participant is not equipped with a GPS before teleporting the participant to a position chosen by the instructor. The participant will then marks his position on the map after determining his location.
To pass this checklisted training you can only fail to demonstrate one minor qualification. Failing to demonstrate any of the 3 major proficiencies will result in a failure. The examiner will explain why you failed these points and what you can do to pass them. The test can be retaken after a period of seven days. Only the points that led to the previous failure will be reassessed.
- (MAJ) Using and reading the Map
- Be able to find or give location using a 6 digit grid reference.
- Know what contour lines are and be able to visualise the terrain from them
- Understand map symbols (Buildings, rocks, trees, etc)
- Be able to mark the map with relevant info.
- (MAJ) Using and reading the Compass
- Be able to call out the 4 cardinal directions, 4 intercardinal and, 8 secondary intercardinal directions.
- Be able to call out directions in degrees
- (MINOR) Understand and use the GPS for coordinates and heading.
- (MINOR) Know the capabilities and how to use the ACE Map tools.
- (MAJ) Be able to triangulate your position with only a map, compass, ACE Map tools, and your eyes.